Using mind mapping in the classroom

It’s interesting to see such a variety of applications of mind/concept mapping.
I have used mind mapping in problem-based learning where learners are presented with a scenario from the workplace and they have to resolve a communication problem. As pointed out in previous posts, mind mapping can be an effective tool to teach and reinforce concepts in a more visual manner and as such address diverse learning styles. In the instance of case-based learning, presenting the ideas/brainstorming visually and following the flow of action helps learners to discern a problem situation and then start thinking about potential solutions. From my experience, mind mapping is especially effective when used as a collaborative tool because then learners are exposed to different perspectives and approaches to problem-solving that they have not thought about.
I will continue to use mind mapping as a teaching and learning tool with learners as well as for my own personal learning. In addition to problem-based learning, I see it being used as a strong tool to help learners plan their learning and career path as well. It can be introduced at the beginning of the semester and learners continuously work on it until the end of the semester. I would add a reflective component to elaborate/complement on student learning.
Thanks,
Leonora
Posted in: Uncategorized, Week 09: Visual-Intensive Learning